Friday, July 16, 2010

Dominion

I realized last night while I was driving home from work, that I really didn't know what the word "dominion" meant. I mean, I always thought I knew, like it had something to do with the word "dominate", or "domain", maybe a dominant domain. But when it came down to it, I couldn't place a definition. I had a phantom definition, and the word "dominion" in my mind was in tall Monty Python letters and that was it.

Turns out, I was kind of right. Here is the definition from dictionary.com:


do·min·ion   /dəˈmɪnyən/ Show Spelled[duh-min-yuhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. the power or right of governing and controlling; sovereign authority.
2. rule; control; domination.
3. a territory, usually of considerable size, in which a single rulership holds sway.
4. lands or domains subject to sovereignty or control.
5. Government . a territory constituting a self-governing commonwealth and being one of a number of such territories united in a community of nations, or empire: formerly applied to self-governing divisions of the British Empire, as Canada and New Zealand.
6. dominions, Theology . domination ( def. 3 ) .

No comments:

Post a Comment