Sunday, February 27, 2011

Weekend Update Part 2...

...will commence as soon as I finish clipping my long, scraggly nails.

OK awesome. If you are reading this, it means I have finished my 500-word quota for the day! That doesn't mean those 500 words weren't junk, but there you have it. I generate words.

Now I'm rejoicing and playing with slinky 2.0 (since I broke my first one like the child I am and my mother so kindly sent me another).

Let me first update you on the hiking situation-- it is not happy! :(
See sad face above. I can't go on the next hike to Dartmoor because it's another weekend trip, and it's 40 pounds. So not only does it take 2 days out of my precious studying time, but it's also majorly expensive, and I just bought the club hoodie for 25! I en't made of money!

So I went to the Dartmoor sign-up to pay for my hoodie, and that was when the club captain said the boots I won would have to be reviewed on that trip or nothing. I told him I didn't realize I didn't have more time, and offered up my free boots to whomever would be able to use them on the hike.

However, when the captain sent out the e-mail that my boots were available to review, he didn't offer to let that person keep them afterwards-- which seems to suggest that he still wants me to have them! But I don't see how I have more right to them than anyone else, seeing as my name was just drawn from a hat. But we shall see.

So I feel bad for not being able to go to Dartmoor, but it was a thrifty decision. I procrastinate too much as it is, so I followed Scrooge's example this time and chose work over people.

Nevertheless, I did NOT choose work over people when I went out with a couple of people on my course this past Thursday for dinner! Hannah knew of a hidden hole-in-the-wall pub on London Road that serves classic English food-- which is basically anything hot and swimming in gravy-- and she, Carly, and I ventured out of our psychology-hole to have our first-ever night out together (yes, 5 months after we all met each other-- it's a slow process), where we talked about life and ate cake. It was great! Later that night when I was visiting Jana, she told me I smelled like beer and smoke, which is basically the ambiance this particular pub radiates. It's definitely a student joint, quite a bit shabbier than your usual English pub-- ripped and stained couches, table numbers scrawled on old green bottles in white-out, and all.

But Amber (old friend from WA) seems to think anything English is going to be sexier than anything American, so I suppose she'd find the drunken haze of a student pub 'enchanting' as long as it was called a pub and not a bar. Apparently she knows nothing of the old "rat statistic" either, which states that you're never more than 10 feet or so from a plague-ridden rodent in this country.

In other news...

Atlas Shrugged is going to be a movie! I'm so excited! It looks like it's going to be an accurate portrayal of the book-- so be prepared for controversy! It isn't suggestive of atheism as was the way of The Golden Compass, but rather expresses a moral and political philosophical viewpoint in a brutally-candid manner. And needless to say, not everyone will agree with this viewpoint.

Instead of telling you everything I know about Objectivism (which is the philosophy of the story) and taking about 10 more pages of blog, read any of Ayn Rand's books if you're curious to know about it. You might like it and you might not. Do I consider myself to be an Objectivist? To a certain extent, yes. Morally, yes. However, I do not know enough about business or business ownership to determine which philosophies should be applied there. Neither do I have the knowledge to determine whether Objectivism could work on a nationwide/global-political scale. But I can say that Atlas Shrugged, the the embodiment of Objectivism, has changed my outlook on life. It has changed the way I think about human rights, fairness and equality, the ownership of ideas and work, and the meaning of life in general, as philosophies tend to do. It has contributed a great deal to my personal philosophy.

And on that note, I'm going to go read ten more pages of PassiveAggressiveNotes.com!
End of post!
THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment