Friday, November 5, 2010

Read this weirdo dream

So here goes: I find myself at the end of some kind of demonstration-- if I dreamed the demonstration itself, I'll never know, because I can't remember. Anyway, I have just demonstrated something, and I have the vaguest idea that this happened to be my ability to fly. I am surrounded by kids around 10 years old, and all the girls are dressed up in long, heavy, old-fashioned dresses, reminiscent of those American Girl dolls. I myself am dressed up, but strange looks indicate that I may have picked a rather eccentric-looking dress (I don't ever look at myself to find out what I'm wearing). Jana is there, and I ask her how I look.

She says something along the lines of, "I wouldn't have picked that one," and I reply, "Well, I like it- it's different."

I start to fly off when suddenly, one of the girls in the nicer dresses, who I can tell is a snob and a bully among her peers, grabs hold of the end of my dress and says in an innocent voice, "Your dress is so lovely. Will you take me for a ride?"

I pull my dress out of her hands and say, "I don't think so, you're rotten to the core."

She sneers as I fly away, but I feel triumphant that I have seen through her act, which I thought I wouldn't have spotted when I was that age, which is why I was bullied so often then. I can feel a sudden weight and I realize another girl has grabbed hold of my feet- her dress is a little too big for her, she looks a little bit plain and a little sloppy, kind of tomboyish- this girl reminds me of me at that age, and I hoist her up into a piggy back.

"I love your dress," she says, a little enviously as we fly. "I wish I looked like you."

We fly through a community of treehouses not unlike Myst, and I drop her off on a boardwalk connecting the treehouses.

"I look so weird," she says, sucking in to show her scrawny frame, ribs exposed, and she's looking down at her awkwardly big feet.

"You'll grow up," I assure her. And in a somewhat motherly way, I say, "Just remember to eat lots of fruit and veggies and you'll turn out fine."

And that's the end...

Last night I met Sonja's dad, who is an English teacher in his native Germany, and I said it would be cool if Jana and I could come to his classroom and talk to the kids in English. He thought this was an excellent idea and said we can do just that when we come for Christmas-- and I'm thinking my dream may have spawned from that idea somehow!

I love meeting people from other countries, especially if they have a lot of questions about the English language or America, because I am quite knowledgable on those subjects, and peoples' perception of English is interesting to me anyhow. For example, Sonja's dad asked if Jana and I could explain the difference between the words "cry" "shout" and "scream", and asked if we ever used the word "teeter-totter" in place of "seesaw". It may sound funny, but it was a lot of fun explaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment